Sunday 24 June 2012

About music videos

A music video or song video is a short film integrating a song and imagery, produced for promotional or artistic purposes. Modern music videos are primarily made and used as a marketing. device intended to promote the sale of music recordings.
Their purposes are to promote an artist and to sell the song and to entertain the public.
Music videos use a wide range of styles of film making techniques, including animation, live action filming, and non-narrative approaches such as abstract films.
They started from MTV, the fist music channel to support music videos.
There are many music labels, especially in USA, like Sony owned by Tommy Mottola.
The concepts for music videos are inspired from everyday life, movies, other music videos, or maybe from your creative mind, from other countries culture. Everything you see in a music video from color, action, actors or background , the director of it decides, or maybe even the artist know what he wants in his own music video. Artists will always try to make the video to fit with the lyrics, so basically they get inspired for their music video from the lyrics of the song.
When it comes to the color of the video it can be black and white which classic, it can be the normal color we see everyday in life, or it can be red,blue and so one, or it can be even mixt like color and black and white:


A video can have crazy effects as well, because it really depends on the artist taste or they get inspired
by the lyrics, in the next video you can see some cool effects and you can see that Madonna is all painted in silver which is a really great natural effect that artists can use, so is not Rihanna who was the first one to be painted in silver like she claimed in an interview for her music video "Umbrella", which shows that artists get inspired or they are copying other artists as well when it comes to music videos:



A music video can also send a message to the public or even to be based on tabu subjects like sexuality.
Video message:



Sex video:






A video can also be based only on a great choreography like the next one:




Some music artists make a music video from their personal footages or from footages from their concerts:






Music video also been inspired from Hollywood films like the next one:



For my music video I had a simple concept, with a femme fatale inspired from my film noir role, and a guy that obviously i have to kill again.

I did this project by myself, so I was the director, the cameraman, the editor and the actress in the video, and I had a friend to be the male in the video.
I filmed this video at my house, because the concept was pretty simple and easy, and I filmed everything in my room basically.There were no risk assessments at all.The video was filmed in black and white and color as well. I used in the video two knifes but everything was under my control so no accidents happened.I struggled a bit with the filming because I did not have any help, I filmed myself most of the shots with a single camera which took me a longer time then others, because others in the class worked in groups so they finished more quicker then me. In the end even if I was by myself I am very satisfied with the results and happy about my music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment